Monarch is a single-chip LTE Cat M1 or eMTC/NB1 solution designed specifically for narrowband IoT applications, including sensors, wearables, and other low data, low power M2M and IoT devices. Monarch complies with the ultra-low-power and reduced complexity feature requirements of the 3GPP release 13 LTE Advanced Pro standard, defining narrowband, low data rate LTE technology for machine-type-communications (MTC). Monarch achieves a very high level of integration whereby baseband, RF transceiver, power management, and RAM memory are integrated into a tiny 6.5 x 8.5 mm package, running Sequans carrier-proven LTE protocol stack, an OMA lightweight M2M (LWM2M) client for over-the-air device management, and a rich set of AT commands. Support for programmable RF filtering allows a simple, reduced bill-of-materials hardware design that enables single SKU devices supporting global LTE bands.
Monarch is ideal for adding Cat M1 and/or NB1 LTE connectivity to narrowband, low data rate M2M and IoT devices, including utility meters, industrial sensors, health and fitness bands, asset trackers, and numerous additional devices for smart home, smart city, and wearable applications.
- Validated by Verizon Wireless, AT&T Wireless, Deutsche Telekom, KDDI, NTT Docomo, SoftBank, T-Mobile, Orange, Telstra, Sprint, TELUS, LGU+
- 3GPP Release 13 LTE Advanced Pro
- Supports narrowband LTE UE categories M1/NB1
- Single chip 6.5 x 8.5 mm FC-CSP package
- Integrated baseband, RF, RAM memory, and power management
- Extended DRX and PSM features for long sleep duration use cases
- Programmable RF filtering for global band support in a single-SKU design
- Proprietary Dynamic Power Management (DPM) technology for 10+ years operation
- Optimized for half-duplex FDD (HD-FDD) operation, also supports full-duplex FDD (FD-FDD)
– LTE UE category M1 (1.4 MHz bandwidth) up to 300 kbps DL/375 kbps UL in HD-FDD, and 1 Mbps in FD-FDD
– LTE UE category NB1 (200 kHz bandwidth) up to 40 kbps DL/55 kbps UL in HD-FDD
- Single antenna system architecture
- Coverage enhancement methods
- Reduced Tx power class option
- Low power serial interfaces
Monarch is a proven LTE for IoT solution and it provided an excellent basis for the Gemtek IoT Tracker. We were able to design our new IoT tracker quickly and with all the features that are important, including worldwide deployment capability in a single SKU.
Fred Yeh – CTO, Gemtek
Our LTE Cat M1 EMS31 module, based on Sequans’ Monarch technology and now certified by Verizon, streamlines the development of LTE Cat M1 devices and improves their total cost of ownership. Sequans’ Monarch LTE Platform is the most highly-optimized LTE Cat M1 chip that we could find and it provides us with a strong technology foundation for our market leading EMS31.
Andreas Haegele – SVP of IoT Products, Gemalto
Sequans’ Monarch chip has been key in enabling our LTE Cat M1 network strategy, and readying the first of many LTE Cat M1 devices to run on it. We are very pleased that Monarch has now passed our certification tests and has proven its ability to support the vast new range of low-power, ultra-efficient IoT devices now being developed for the world’s first commercial LTE Cat M1 network.
Ro McNally – VP of Device Technology, Verizon
Monarch Development Platforms
Monarch GM01Q STMOD Evaluation Kit
The GM01Q-STMOD is a cellular expansion board for STMicroelectronics’ STM32 Discovery Kits, providing LTE-M and NB-IoT connectivity to any STM32 Discovery Kit and enabling designers to prototype IoT applications.LEARN MORE
Monarch Recent Posts
ABI Insight Report: Sequans, Microchip and NXP Smooth Developers’ Pathway to Massive Connectivity
In this report by Jamie Moss of ABI Research, the strategy behind Sequans’ establishment of partnerships with leading MCU providers, NXP and Microchip, is analyzed. Sequans and its MCU partners…Read More